One of our favorite veggies on the farm are turnip greens. Many times people throw out what I consider to be the best part of the turnip, the top. Turnip greens are a power house of nutrition. Packed with vitamins A and K, folate, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus and potassium, these greens are great for detoxifying and ridding yourself of that unwanted physical baggage. Not only are they super nutritious, they are super tasty. Stop throwing those tops away and get them in your diet.
- 2 cups of ziti pasta (dry)
- 1 bunch of turnip greens, washed and dried
- 3 Italian sausages
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- ½ cup of Parmesan cheese, grated
- In a large pot, bring 1 gallon of water to a boil over high heat. Add ¼ cup of salt and stir until dissolved.
- Remove turnip greens from turnip roots, and wash greens thoroughly under running water to remove any dirt or sand. Dry thoroughly with paper towels or using a salad spinner.
- Chop turnip greens into 1-inch slices. Add to a bowl and set aside.
- Peel and chop garlic into a rough chop, set aside.
- Remove sausages from casings, set aside.
- Add the pasta to the boiling pasta water. While the pasta is cooking, cook the greens and sausage (steps 7-9).
- In a large saute pan, add the olive oil and place on the stove over medium-high heat. Add the Italian sausage to the pan, and break into small chunks using a spoon as it cooks. Stir constantly until chunks are browned and fully cooked through, about 5-7 minutes. Once cooked, remove the sausage from the pan onto a clean plate, set aside.
- Add the garlic and red pepper flakes to the saute pan, and more olive oil, if needed. Cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the chopped turnip greens, and stir to incorporate the greens with the oil and the garlic. If all of the greens will not fit in the pan at one time, add greens in batches, allowing the greens in the pan to wilt before adding more. Once all of the greens have wilted down, add the cooked Italian sausage back to the pan, stir to combine.
- When the pasta has been fully cooked through, reserve 1 cup of the pasta water before draining the pasta. Add the pasta to the pan with the greens and Italian sausage, stir to combine.
- Add ¼ cup of the pasta water and the Parmesan cheese to the pasta, greens, and sausage, and stir to combine. Remove from the heat and serve immediately.